First Lego League and Java

Post your NXJ projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

First Lego League and Java

Postby kirkpthompson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 am

I do not know if this forum is appropriate for this question but...

I am researching First Lego League and notice that LeJOS is not used. Does anyone one have any insight to this? I am thinking of possibly starting a team here in NM and don't know much about it. Any info would be helpful.

Thnx.

-K
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:40 am

Hi,
Not sure why leJOS is not allowed in FLL. Java has just been approved for use in FRC (after a lot of hard work by some of the Sun guys and others...). So maybe things will change? If you want to help get things changed then mailing the First people and asking for Java in FLL would probably help...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby ChrisB01 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm

I think the reason they give in the rules is everyone needs to be on an even playing field, not all people can program in code (I started when I was 13/14 anyway). I don't compete in FLL now but it would have been nice to use lejos.

Chris
ChrisB01
Advanced Member

Postby esmetaman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi friends,

I was reading the rules this month. At the moment only NXT-G & Robolab are allowed in FLL. Only NI software...

It is a pity!

My question is about RoboCup Junior, in this case I didn't read the programming languajes allowed.

Cheers
Juan Antonio Breña Moral
http://www.juanantonio.info/lejos-ebook/
http://www.iloveneutrinos.com/
esmetaman
Advanced Member

Postby kirkpthompson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:50 pm

What is FRC?
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi,
FRC is the competition for older students. See:
http://www.usfirst.org/what/frc/default.aspx?id=366

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm

ChrisB01 wrote:I think the reason they give in the rules is everyone needs to be on an even playing field, not all people can program in code (I started when I was 13/14 anyway). I don't compete in FLL now but it would have been nice to use lejos.

Chris

I found it a hindrance to have to program for FLL in NXT-G. It pretty much prevented you from trying to do anything clever in the programming (due to slow execution, slow block dragging, slow loss of sanity etc), and was frustrating with even the simplest code.

I think that enforcing NXT-G does not exactly create a level playing field. Faster computers do better, so teams with more budget benefit. In contrast text-based languages require little memory to run on the computer, are accessible to all, and are actually useful to learn. NXC is good for intermediate users.

I pretty much gave up FLL after getting fed up with NXT-G. See my website for our final year (below)
Eric
Novice

Return to NXJ Projects