Communication between bricks

Post your NXJ projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Communication between bricks

Postby locorecto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 am

Hello Guy!!
I am glad you have a forum like this where people can ask questions. I am right know having a problem with a project I am developing. I have build two robots. One is in charged of looking for an object in a square area without obstacles. The other robot has claws which will pick up the object. The problems is how to make the two robot to communicate with each other so that the picking robot knows the location of the finding robot. Obviously, the communication would be through bluetooth, however I have no idea how to do this.

I have some questions

1- Do I need any extra sensor to get the location of the finding robot?
2- Can someone give me an example of how to make the communication between the robots using bluetooth?

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate it.
locorecto
New User

Postby lawrie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:30 pm

The samples BTConnectTest and BTReceive show how to communicate between two NXTs.

Both robots could use SimpleNavigator to calculate their positions as they move around and the first robot could send its position to the second. SimpleNavigator uses dead reckoning so is not that accurate. There is no sensor that will give you an accurate location. leJOS supports GPS sensors but they are only likely to be accurate to within a few meters. If you want greater accuracy you need to use localization algorithms like the Monte Carlo Localization classes in lejos.localization but these need a map of your room, are slow, quite difficult to use, and not that accurate.

The leJOS developers are working on improvements to navigation and localization.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby locorecto » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Thank you!!!
locorecto
New User

Return to NXJ Projects