Building from (879) SVN for OS X

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Building from (879) SVN for OS X

Postby juliac » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:13 am

In libnxt the file main_runjava.c seems to be missing.

Also, how does one go about building libjlibnxt.so I can't seem to find it listed in any of the build.xml files.

Thanks,
Julia
Ships are safe inside the harbor.
juliac
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:45 pm

runjava is no longer used by the SVN version.

Look at release/lejos_nxj/README.html to see how things work now. You flash the firmware with nxjflash, and upload and run programs with nxj, nxjupload or nxjbrowse.

The new alpha0.3.0 release is now in the sourceforge download area.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm

libjlibnxt.so is now built by the ant file, but you may need to uncomment the definition of cpptasks to use the libnxt build.xml file directly. It can also be built by Scons - see the Sconstruct file. I build it in Eclipse with Scons, as that is what libnxt originally used.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby juliac » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:25 pm

I was watching the checkins yesterday and saw that get cleaned up.

But here is what I'm seeing on OS X (and note that I'm a linux developer moving to OS X, so some of this on OS X is still new to me).

1. I had to add the include path to jni.h to the build.xml (perhaps there was an easier way)
2. This creates a libjlibnxt.dynlib not libjlibnxt.so
3. I keep get jlibnxt not found
4. I haven't even tried to tackle bluez vs. apple's built in Bluetooth API

I spent a good chunk of last night trying to search google for how to deal with JNI libraries on OS X. dynlib vs jnilib, dynamic library vs. bundles and tried a lot of combinations. I came up empty. If I can find the time today I will try to look at the way that they rxtx folks dealt with making the OS X JNI library, but it appears that it was a fork and used the XCode system (from a very brief look at the directory structure). The rxtx library is also universal (includes both ppx and intel).
juliac
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:04 pm

There is a developer called Matthew Jording (mjording@gmail.com) who has built versions of jlibnxt and jbluez for OS X.

I will ask him to add the OS X build to SVN, and produce a 0.3alpha release for OS X.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby juliac » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:07 pm

I'll look forward to the insight on making it work. As much for having a working version as how it was done.

Thanks.
juliac
New User

Return to NXJ Software