NXT Brick Stuck In Firmware Update Mode

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

NXT Brick Stuck In Firmware Update Mode

Postby losl » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 am

Hello,

I tried to update my NXT brick running .7 to the latest version on a freshly formatted computer with Windows 7. After installing all the software, and the NXT drivers, I used the graphical flashing tool. The tool placed the the NXT into firmware update mode, and then Windows selected an incorrect driver ("GPS Camera"). The tool failed with the error "Bad news: An error has occurred lejos.pc.comm.NXTCommException cannot load comm driver."

I exited the tool and selected the correct driver, but the tool still fails with the same error. I'm not sure if there is a way to get the brick out of firmware mode, or if I have to use the Lego Firmware Update tool. I'm hoping you have a solution that doesn't involve the Lego Firmware software, because I don't have the disk at present

Thanks for the help!
losl
New User

Postby losl » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:30 am

I got this figured out, but I'll post how to fix everything for Windows 7 in case it doesn't work for someone else.

1) Follow the guide as normal to prepare Java
2) Right click on the the Lejos installer and choose to run as administrator
3) If the flashing tool fails or Windows 7 detects the NXT in Firmware Mode as a GPS Camera then open the control panel.
4) From the control panel go to the device manager, select Ports and Connections tree and select the GPS Camera Device, right click and choose "Update Driver Software."
5) Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"
6) Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers installed on my computer"
7) Choose Lego Mindstorms NXT Firmware Update mode and press okay.

Besides incorrectly choosing the correct device driver, I also made the mistake of not running the Lejos installer as an administrator, this is key.

I'm sorry this post was in the wrong forum.
losl
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 am

Hi,
Just a quick note. I use Windows 7 X64 (clean retail build), with the Lego 2.0 software USB driver and leJOS 0.85. I do not have to run the flash updater as an administrator (nor did I have any problems with the NXT being mis-identified). What version of the Lego USB driver are you using?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby losl » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:40 pm

I am using version 1.02 downloaded from this page (Is there a newer one): http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/updates/

I didn't have to run the flash tool as an administrator.
I had to run the Lejos installer as an administrator because it can't add the Lejos Environment Variables (since it never UAC prompts)

This was for Windows 7 Professional 32bit running on an eee1000h
losl
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi,
You might want to pick up and updated driver from here....
http://www.robotc.net/content/lego_down/lego_down.html
You only need the NXT driver...

On my system I'm pretty sure I got UAC prompt when installing.... Strange.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware