Renaming brick

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Renaming brick

Postby WillZaz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 am

Hi everybody! Do you know how to rename bricks?... I mean, when I download firmware from my PC to the brick it gives the name "NXT", but I want to change this name for example to "NXT1", "NXT2"... in order to connect several devices at the same time by bluetooh.

Thanks in advance :wink:
WillZaz
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 am

Run nxjbrowse, there is an option in that to allow you to change the name of the brick...

Andy

PS Once you have changed the name you may have to delete/update the nxj.cache file (which contains a cached mapping of name to address)
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby WillZaz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks Andy!
WillZaz
New User

Postby WillZaz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Just another cuestion, how can I update that nxj.cache file? I have been searching, but I can't find the file... I don't know if it's in the NXT brick or in the PC...

I want to communicate two NXT bricks between them, so I suppose that I must update the file in the brick... But I don't know where or how... :roll:

Thanks
WillZaz
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi,
The file is called nxj.cache and it is in the home directory of you pc (so on Vista mine is in c:\users\andy). It is only used by programs that run on the PC and holds a mapping of Bluetooth name to address. You may need to force a new nxt to be added to the cache. You can do this by running:
Code: Select all
nxjbrowse -b -n "*"

Which will force a search for all nxts using Bluetooth. Any devices found during this search will then be added to the cache. Note that you may have to pair the nxt with your PC before you can access it...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby WillZaz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Thank you very much! :wink:
WillZaz
New User

nxjbrowse not working

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 pm

I can't get nxjbrowse to change the name. Running it works fine, and the +++ on the brick flashes reassuringly, but the name on the brick never actually changes: it only has "changed" on the PC. I am using USB, not BT
Eric
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi,
You may need to restart the NXT to see the name change. The name is shown at the top of the NXT screen. Are you saying this does not change? Do you have Bluetooth enabled on the NXT? It may need to be on (even if you are using USB), for this to work...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:47 pm

gloomyandy wrote:Hi,
You may need to restart the NXT to see the name change. The name is shown at the top of the NXT screen. Are you saying this does not change? Do you have Bluetooth enabled on the NXT? It may need to be on (even if you are using USB), for this to work...

Andy

Well diagnosed. Thanks.
Last edited by Eric on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Eric,
Was it the restart or enabling Bluetooth that fixed things? Either way it sounds like we have a (small) bug. If you let me know which of the above fixed your problem I'll try and work out what is going on and see if we can fix it...

Thanks

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:24 am

Enabling bluetooth did it.
Eric
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks... I'll see if I can work out what is going on...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware