Brick LCD flickering

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Brick LCD flickering

Postby enzomango » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 am

About six months ago I took the batteries out of my brick and stored it safely in a tackle box with the rest of the kit. I recently had some free time so I put the batteries in and turned it on. The LCD is flickering quickly and the text is unreadable. I reloaded the Lejos firmware a few times and even tried the firmware from the NXT CD. It appears to load the firmware successfully and I get the typical audible signals. I know it was working fine when I stored it and it was kept dry and clean. The temperature probably ranged from 70 to 85. It's out of warranty now. Any ideas?
enzomango
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 am

Hi,
Sounds like you have run into what seems to be a common problems with the NXT. It seems to be some sort of problem with the capacitors attached to the lcd. See this link....
viewtopic.php?t=1528
The above link also contains info. on a possible fix... BUT... If I was you I would contact Lego and see what they have to say (Others have reported the same problem and have had the NXT exchanged)...

Good luck

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby enzomango » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Thank you Andy. That was the problem. If there's ever an opportunity to redesign the LCD/button daughter board, the HW developers should consider a slightly different design so that three rigid caps aren't soldered on the backside of a board that is going to flex because its receiving key presses on the front side. I have no idea what percentage of units fail, but I would warn others not to use excessive force when pressing the buttons.
enzomango
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi,
I've seen comments that would indicate that this problem is/was with a particular batch of NXT bricks. I've no idea why, maybe they changed something, but my understanding is that Lego are aware of this problem...

Hope you get it fixed...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware