OSX Installation Problems

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

OSX Installation Problems

Postby rumrunner » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi, I am using an intel Mac with OSX 10.4.9. My system says that I already have Java installed (it supposedly includes the SDK). I downloaded the newest lejos verion (2.1.0) and renamed it lejos_nxt and put it in applications folder.

Tried the new instructions and got the error in terminal "invalid command." when I tried to download to the brick.

My PATH in tcsch looked like this: PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
and that is not what I had typed in the file I created and saved to the disc.

Clearly I am doing something wrong. I have tried seceral times so I believe I followed the insructions exactly. I suspect somehow I have a problem with the apple installed java but don't know what to do next.

Has anyone had similar problems/ or have any ideas?
rumrunner
New User

Postby bbagnall » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi there. I'm not a Mac expert so I can't really help. Although it's possible to use the Linux version of leJOS NXJ under Mac, you might want to wait on a dedicated Mac OS X build from someone (or a few someones actually). None of the main leJOS developers use Mac OS X but from what we're being told the build will be out shortly.

But if anyone out there who is a Mac OS X expert has managed to make a universal build (for Intel and PPC Macs) please step forward so we can release it to everyone.
bbagnall
Site Admin

I have a temporary fix (intel and usb only for now)

Postby juliac » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I haven't gotten home to where I have my brick to test this. And I won't be home until late afternoon Pacific time, but this at least doesn't give link errors.

http://web.pdx.edu/~case/lejos/

Put the libjlibnxt.jnilib file in the $NXJ_HOME/bin directory (same place libjlibnxt.so is).

on top of the other variables you setup add

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:$NXJ_HOME/bin

This should let the programs find the library and run it. This is compiled for intel only.

You will also have to add a -u when you run the programs so it won't try to use the bluetooth.

I'll do my best to try and get the bluetooth and figure out how to make a universal binary.

I'm new to compiling for OS X (a long time Windows and Linux programmer). But at least this is a stop gap for some users.

Julia
Ships are safe inside the harbor.
juliac
New User

Ok, a little more progress

Postby juliac » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:36 am

I've put up modified build.xml scripts that will let you build the proper library for usb usage on OS X.

http://web.pdx.edu/~case/lejos/

Put the build.xml in the build sub directory in the build directory of the download. Put the build.xml in libnxt into the src/libnxt

Now go into the build director and type ant

See above post about setting the DYN_LIBRARY_PATH

This should build a proper library for your machine, but I've only tested it on an intel machine.

I'll keep working on trying to figure out the bluez stuff. I emailed the person who was listed as having done the OS X work in the past, bug have had no response yet. I'm doing the best I can.

Julia
juliac
New User

Where to put that line?

Postby hhowe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 pm

juliac,

When you said in your first post,

"on top of the other variables you setup add

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:$NXJ_HOME/bin "

Where does that go? Is that another command to put in the .tschr file, or does it go into some other file?
hhowe
New User

Postby juliac » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:59 am

Actually I found you are best if you just run it from the shell when you are ready to do things with lejos. When I added it as part of normal operations it caused problems with other java programs. I'm going to mess around tonight and see if I can fix that.

School has been getting in the way of more hacking on my side. My research abstract has to be turned in soon.
juliac
New User

Return to NXJ Software