Fixing a non-working LCD Screen

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Fixing a non-working LCD Screen

Postby bbagnall » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm

If your LCD screen stops working but you can still hear your NXT brick turn on and can blindly navigate the menu, chances are one of the capacitor connections in the brick has cracked and become separated. Here are some detailed instructions to resolder the connection:

http://blogs.wsd1.org/etr/?p=495
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby kirkpthompson » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 pm

I found that URL as well and did the inspection (saw nothing obvious) and did the re-solder on one of my NXTs (w/ dead display). It didnt work. I then examined the ribbon cable and connector, etc. for defects. It started working. Then it stopped working a few days later. Now, it works intermittently.

I have a theory it is humidity related (in my case).

Best,
-K
Leg Godt!
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby woolfel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 pm

I had the same problem last week and followed similar instructions. The first 2 tries tapping the connections with a soldering iron it would work intermittently. I had to add a little bit of solder, which it fixed it.
woolfel
New User

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:30 pm

My problem is the ribbon tape from the interface board to the LCD. There is one edge that wasn't "stuck" quite right it looks like (under 10X loupe). I tried to pull the tape up a little to see better and that was a mistake.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE RIBBON/TAPE TO LCD!! It is very fragile and now is broken. Does anyone have a dead NXT with a good LCD & LCD interface daughterboard?

-K

[EDIT] ribbon cable/tape has very thin conductors
Leg Godt!
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware