Building lejos_nxj 0.3 under linux

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Building lejos_nxj 0.3 under linux

Postby the_one » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:07 am

Finally, after waiting for the release 0.3, I have decided to give lejos a try. Referring to the updated install document, I tried installing it. After following the install directions, running ant failed and rendered this error :

[...]

BUILD FAILED
/home/franky/lejos_nxj/build/build.xml:65: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/franky/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml:41: gcc failed with return code 1

Total time: 1 second

Any ideas to a solution to this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
the_one
New User

Postby CoBB » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:43 am

You need to have libusb-dev, gcj and libbluetooth-dev (the latter two needed to compile jbluez) in order to build it cleanly, at least that was all I needed besides gcc.
CoBB
Novice

Postby the_one » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Yes! I am so foolish. I didn't resolve all the dependencies needed I thought I had already. Thanks for post though.
the_one
New User

Postby optiluca » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi. I have a very similar problem, but I have all the required dependencies...

Code: Select all
ant
Buildfile: build.xml

clean:
     [echo] saving existing files to .bak files

libnxt:

clean:

libnxt:
       [cc] 5 total files to be compiled.
       [cc] Starting link
       [cc] ar: creating libnxt.a
       [cc] a - samba.o
       [cc] a - flash.o
       [cc] a - error.o
       [cc] a - lowlevel.o
       [cc] a - firmware.o

nxjflash:
       [cc] 1 total files to be compiled.
       [cc] Starting link

jlibnxt:
       [cc] In file included from /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:29:
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:2:17: error: jni.h: No such file or directory
       [cc] In file included from /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:29:
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:15: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:23: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:31: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:39: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:47: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jbyteArray'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:31: error: expected ')' before '*' token
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:45: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:60: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:64: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:75: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:90: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jbyteArray'

BUILD FAILED
/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/build/build.xml:65: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml:126: gcc failed with return code 1

Any ideas? :?

Thanks in Advance
optiluca
Novice

Postby lawrie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Make sure you have JAVA_HOME defined, and set tio your jdk. If this does not work you might have to add explicit includes for $JAVA_HOME/incude and $JAVA_HOME/include/linux in the build of jlibnxt and jbluez, but on my system ant appears to do this automatically.

I should have mentioned the dependencies in the README.html files, but it was a long time ago that I put them on my system, and I forgot they were needed.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

set include path

Postby wyojustin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 pm

How do I set the include path in ant?

I get the same error:
jlibnxt:
[cc] In file included from /usr/local/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:29:
[cc] /usr/local/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:2:17: error: jni.h: No such file or directory

root@justin-laptop:/usr/local/lejos_nxj# echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/jdk1.6.0_01/

Thanks,
Justin
________
Chevrolet Tavera Specifications
Last edited by wyojustin on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyojustin
New User

Postby optiluca » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 am

Still no success... Only thing I can think of is that I've somehow set the paths wrong?

Here is the relevant part of ~/.bashrc

JAVA_HOME="/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02"
NXJ_HOME="/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj"
PATH="${PATH}:%NXJ_HOME%/bin:%JAVA_HOME%/bin"

Any mistakes??

Thanks in advance

Luca
optiluca
Novice

The fix

Postby wyojustin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 am

It seems you need to edit two "build.xml" files.

lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml
lejos_nxj/src/jbluez/build.xml

Thanks to Lawrie for the hint.

in both cases add the lines
<includepath>
<pathelement location ="/usr/local/jdk1.6.0_01/include"/>
</includepath>
<includepath>
<pathelement location ="/usr/local/jdk1.6.0_01/include/linux"/>
</includepath>

after the lines

<includepath>
<pathelement location="."/>
</includepath>
________
SCION BBX
Last edited by wyojustin on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyojustin
New User

Postby optiluca » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Tried that, but no success... :(

Instead of inserting /usr/local/jdk1.6.0_01/ I added what is the jdk's path on my system, but the build still fails...

Any ideas??
optiluca
Novice

Postby CoBB » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Interesting. I don’t have JAVA_HOME set at all, and NXJ_HOME is not needed either for the building process, only when using the resulting executables. And I never touched any of the build.xml files.
CoBB
Novice

Postby optiluca » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Does anyone have any ideas at all? :( I bought the Maximum LEGO Nxt book and can't do much with at atm because of this problem...

Btw I'm running a 64 bit system. Could that affect the build process in any way?

Thanks in advance
optiluca
Novice

Postby NVRAM » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:41 am

optiluca wrote:Here is the relevant part of ~/.bashrc
PATH="${PATH}:%NXJ_HOME%/bin:%JAVA_HOME%/bin"

Any mistakes??

The format %varname% is for DOS/MSW, not for U*X. Try:

PATH="${PATH}:${NXJ_HOME}/bin:${JAVA_HOME}/bin"
export JAVA_HOME NXJ_HOME PATH
NVRAM
New User

Postby optiluca » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Edited .bashrc but still get exactly the same error.. Tried building lejos-0.2 and that works perfectly :? But that isn't really usable so I'd really love to get 0.3 working... I really have no idea on what could be wrong here... Does anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks for your help
optiluca
Novice

Postby NVRAM » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:36 am

optiluca wrote:
ant
                                                                    [[... SNIP ...]]
jlibnxt:
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:2:17: error: jni.h: No such file or directory

Seems like something is wrong with your JDK installation. So, a couple of questions --
1. Can you compile the JNI example shown here: http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Programming/JDCBook/jniexamp.html
2. What directory were you in when you ran the ant command shown above?
3. What do you get if you add a '-v' to the ant command you tried before?
4. What do you get from: readlink -f `type -path javac` and from: readlink -f `type -path java`
5. If you take the failing 'gcc' line from the 'ant -v' output, and run it with a '-v' it will list the include directories it uses. Mine shows:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/include

Which includes a "jni.h" file. It is part of libgcj-devel --
$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/include/jni.h
libgcj-devel-4.1.1-51.fc5[/B]

The JNI Example shows adding the JDK include directory to the include path. So, it is my suspicion is that leJOS inadvertently depends on libgcj-devel and the fact that the "jni.h" is compatible with the Sun JDK (but that's a guess). You could try installing libgcj and libgcj-devel or you could try to set/export $C_INCLUDE_PATH before running 'ant'....

NVRAM
NVRAM
New User

Postby optiluca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:31 pm

OK so one step at a time...

1) I'm not really practical with java (not at all actually), but hoping to learn ;-) I ran the javac command on this
import java.util.*;

class ReadFile {
//Native method declaration
  native byte[] loadFile(String name);
//Load the library
  static {
    System.loadLibrary("nativelib");
  }

public static void main(String args[]) {
    byte buf[];
//Create class instance
    ReadFile mappedFile=new ReadFile();
//Call native method to load ReadFile.java
    buf=mappedFile.loadFile("ReadFile.java");
//Print contents of ReadFile.java
    for(int i=0;i<buf.length;i++) {
      System.out.print((char)buf[i]);
    }
  }
}
and that returned no errors. Is that what you meant?

2) lejos_nxj/build
3)
ant -v
Apache Ant version 1.7.0 compiled on January 29 2007
Detected Java version: 1.6 in: /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02/jre
Detected OS: Linux
parsing buildfile /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/build/build.xml with URI = file:/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/build/build.xml
Project base dir set to: /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/build
[antlib:org.apache.tools.ant] Could not load definitions from resource org/apache/tools/ant/antlib.xml. It could not be found.
Build sequence for target(s) `build' is [clean, libnxt, jbluez, emulator, copy.binaries, clear, build]
Complete build sequence is [clean, libnxt, jbluez, emulator, copy.binaries, clear, build, ]

clean:
     [echo] saving existing files to .bak files

libnxt:
Project base dir set to: /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt
      [ant] calling target(s) [default] in build file /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml
parsing buildfile /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml with URI = file:/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml
Project base dir set to: /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt
      [ant] Entering /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml...
Build sequence for target(s) `make' is [clean, libnxt, nxjflash, jlibnxt, make]
Complete build sequence is [clean, libnxt, nxjflash, jlibnxt, make, runc, ]

clean:
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/error.o
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/firmware.o
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/flash.o
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/lowlevel.o
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_nxjflash.o
   [delete] Deleting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/samba.o

libnxt:
       [cc] 5 total files to be compiled.
       [cc] gcc -Wall -std=gnu99 -g -ggdb -D_NXT_LITTLE_ENDIAN -c -Os -I/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/samba.c /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/flash.c /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/error.c /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/lowlevel.c /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/firmware.c
       [cc] Starting link
       [cc] ar rvs libnxt.a samba.o flash.o error.o lowlevel.o firmware.o
       [cc] a - samba.o
       [cc] a - flash.o
       [cc] a - error.o
       [cc] a - lowlevel.o
       [cc] a - firmware.o
       [cc] ar: creating libnxt.a

nxjflash:
       [cc] gcc -Wall -std=gnu99 -g -ggdb -D_NXT_LITTLE_ENDIAN -c -Os -I/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_nxjflash.c
       [cc] Starting link
       [cc] gcc -o nxjflash main_nxjflash.o -L/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt -lnxt -lusb

jlibnxt:
       [cc] gcc -Wall -std=gnu99 -g -ggdb -D_NXT_LITTLE_ENDIAN -c -Os -fPIC -I/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:15: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:23: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:31: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:39: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/jlibnxt.h:47: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jbyteArray'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:31: error: expected ')' before '*' token
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:45: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:60: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jint'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:64: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:75: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
       [cc] /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/main_jlibnxt.c:90: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'jbyteArray'
      [ant] Exiting /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml.

BUILD FAILED
/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/build/build.xml:65: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml:126: gcc failed with return code 1
        at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:541)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:418)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:105)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1329)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1298)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1181)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:698)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:199)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)
Caused by: /home/luca/bin/lejos_nxj/src/libnxt/build.xml:126: gcc failed with return code 1
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.compiler.CommandLineCompiler.compile(CommandLineCompiler.java:216)
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.compiler.CommandLineCompilerConfiguration.compile(CommandLineCompilerConfiguration.java:132)
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.CCTask.execute(CCTask.java:616)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:38)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:416)
        ... 17 more
--- Nested Exception ---
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.compiler.CommandLineCompiler.compile(CommandLineCompiler.java:216)
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.compiler.CommandLineCompilerConfiguration.compile(CommandLineCompilerConfiguration.java:132)
        at net.sf.antcontrib.cpptasks.CCTask.execute(CCTask.java:616)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:38)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:416)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1298)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:698)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:199)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)

4)
readlink -f `type -path javac`
/usr/bin/run-java-tool

readlink -f `type -path java`
/usr/bin/run-java-tool

5) Not sure which line you mean exactly.. :S

BTW I am running Gentoo, and there is no gcj ebuild available. However gcc has been compiled enabling gcj support.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my n00bness :-P

PS Used the 0.4 beta, which gives the same error... Wonder why 0.2 works...
optiluca
Novice

Next

Return to NXJ Software